CSS Branch is responsible for the following core functions:
- Force Protection and Defence aggainst Terrorism (FP & DAT).
- Provision of CSS Branch input to JAPCC support for the Partnership for Peace Programme (PfP).
- Provision of CSS Branch input to JAPCC support for the NATO/EU relationship.
- Development and maintenance of JAPCC relations with external agencies and educational establishments in the field of CSS expertise.
- Maintenance of the requisite level of knowledge and information to provide CSS subject matter expertise in the fields of:
- Force Protection and Survival to Operate (FP&STO).
- Civil Military Co-operation (CIMIC).
- Chemical, biological, radiological and nuclear (CBRN)